A Message to Unite Members
I am pleased to welcome you to the 2020/2021 Unite Education Programme for the East Midlands Region. Inside you will find the wide range of courses that are available to you as a Unite representative.
All of our courses are held at our Unite offices across the East Midlands and on site if required, ensuring there are always courses available close to your home or workplace.
The cornerstone of our regional provision is the Unite Workplace Representative Introductory Certificate Course that you need to complete over 10 days (two 5 day blocks), followed by the Bargaining
& the Law Part 1 and 2. For more experienced reps and those who have completed the 20 day Introductory ones there is the Workplace Reps 2A and 2B.
For Health and Safety Representatives we offer a 20 day training package split into 4 modules of 5 days each.
These certificate courses provide clearly structured education progression for activists. If you or any of your fellow activists have yet to attend, please contact the education department at the regional office to reserve your place.
We also offer a 5 day Equality and Diversity course for all Reps and our 5 day Mental Health Awareness course continues to be popular. You will usually have to have completed the Workplace Reps or Health and Safety Reps 1A and 1B courses before applying for these popular courses.
We no longer offer the 2 day Mental Health First Aid course as it is your employer’s responsibility to offer this.
In addition to the courses for our Workplace Representatives, Health and Safety Representatives, Equality Representatives and Union Learning Representatives, we can also run bespoke courses and bite size education upon request. Please contact your regional officer or the education department if you wish to pursue this.
Our courses are run by experienced tutors in a supportive learning environment where members share their own experiences and knowledge, and learn from each other. They are all fully accredited and you will be expected to complete the course work with support from your tutor and other Reps.
Unite education courses will provide you with the organising skills, knowledge and tools to fight back to win better terms and conditions in the workplace for the members you represent and grow our union
Please take a few minutes to look through the programme and sign up for one of the many courses on offer, either by completing the application form in this programme or by contacting us by email:
email@example.com or telephone 0116 253 2020.
Alternatively, you can view all of our course dates online and apply at www.unitetheunion.org/education together with full information on Unite education services.
We look forward to welcoming you at one of our courses in the near future.
To download your brochure for all course dates click HERE
Regional Education Officer
As an elected Workplace Representative it is essential you access your initial training as soon after election as possible. Your initial training consists of Module 1A and 1B. It is best to book both courses at the same time to ensure you have a place reserved on each course.
This course is designed to be the core initial training for Unite workplace reps. The course covers the wide range of knowledge and skills needed by the new Rep including:
• Key skills for organising your workplace
• Handling discipline and grievance cases
• Communication skills
• Introduction to Employment Law Equality at Work
For reps who have completed Module 1A.
This course covers:
• Evaluating and assessing your experience since the Stage 1 course
• Understanding the concept of ‘good work’
• Understanding and dealing with Issues around Dignity and Respect in the workplace
• Problem solving skills
• Bargaining skills
• Work-life balance
• Building a strong workplace union
This course is designed for Reps who have completed the Workplace Reps Introductory Certificate Modules 1A & 1B. Reps need to complete Part 1 and Part 2 to achieve accreditation within the academic year.
The course includes:
• Understanding the trade union approach to Employment Rights
• Workplace rights
• Rights to information
• Understanding employment rights relating to Industrial Action
• Collective bargaining legal framework
This course is an advanced course designed for Reps who have completed the Workplace Reps Introductory Certificate Modules 1A & 1B and the Bargaining & the Law Part 1 and Part 2. Reps will be required to complete both 2A and 2B.
This course covers
• Understanding the trade union approach to workplace issues and how to use sources of information
• Understand Collective bargaining in today’s economy
• Understanding and applying Unite’s organising and bargaining strategies in the workplace
• Leading in the trade union collective agenda
Reps must have completed Module 2A within the academic year.
This course covers:
• Planning, Organising and campaigning for Trade Union Reps
• Developments in employment
• Recognise, negotiate and evaluate workplace issues and priorities
• Understand key aspects of union principles, structure and resources
As an elected Health & Safety Representative it is essential you access your initial training as soon after election as possible. Your initial training consists of Module 1A and 1B. It is best to book both courses at the same time to ensure you have a place reserved on each course.
This course is the essential course for all new Unite Health and Safety Representatives. It is designed to help you build the skills, knowledge and confidence to organise effectively in order to carry out your work as a Safety Rep as well as to create understanding of how economic and others aspects affect the working lives, health, safety and welfare of working people.
The course covers:
• Understanding the role of a Unite Safety Rep
• The legal framework of Health and Safety
• Rights of Safety Reps
• Involving the members in Health and Safety
• Accident Investigations – Risk Assessments
The course develops the skills and knowledge learnt in Module 1A:
• Examining your workplace risk assessment and evaluating them
• Understanding health & safety audits and company accident statistics
• Appreciate health & safety legislation including aspects of criminal and civil law
Module 2A of Unites Health & Safety training builds upon the knowledge learnt in Modules 1A and 1B.
The course covers:
• Assessment of workplace action plan
• Understanding COSHH and related hazards
• Carrying out a workplace audit
• Explore manual handing and ergonomic risks
• Creating a healthier work environment
Designed to give all Unite Reps the confidence and knowledge to address equality and diversity issues, the course provides a comprehensive overview of equality in the workplace.
On completion of the course Reps should be able to:
• Recognise equality issues within the workplace
• Know what constitutes discrimination, harassment and bullying
• Challenge their perception of equality & diversity
• Understand the key points of new equalities legislation, measures and legal decisions
• Decide how best to support workers in response to new equalities legislation
• Use interviewing techniques to deal with individual and workplace equality issues
• Develop equality policies and practice
This course is designed to be the core initial training for all Unite Union Learning Reps (ULRs). It helps them develop the basic
knowledge and skills needed as a new Rep, enabling them to work with colleagues in the workplace to analyse training needs.The course forms a solid foundation for the new ULR to develop their skills and their own personal development.
We offer a wide range of additional courses open to representatives. You may find some of these suitable for enhancing your existing skills. We advice that you complete your initial reps training before accessing these additional courses.
This course will help Reps develop a better understanding on mental health issues and how they affect members in the workplace. You will develop a better understanding of Disability Discrimination Law and how it applies to people with mental health illnesses. The training will enable you to develop a strategy to deal with workplace mental health issues and ensure employees are not discriminated against.
The Branch Secretary is a key player in the Unite team. The concept of this course is to develop Branch Secretaries within Unite by providing them with the knowledge and skills, and nurturing their passion, to drive forward the ideology of our union, to develop our activist base and grow and strengthen our membership. This course is designed for all new Branch Secretaries, and for those who have not attended the course recently.
The course covers:
• The administrative role of the Branch Secretary
• How the union works
• How ‘lay democracy’ starts at local branch level
• Understanding organisation procedures
• Encouraging active participation within the Unite structure
• Branch Finance
• Understanding the ‘Strategy for Growth’ and the crucial role that the branch plays
• Setting out a local ‘strategy for growth’ for recruitment, retention and participation in branch life
• Branch Portal
• Chairing and Organising Skills
Find out how to register with Learn With Unite